Trump threatens new lawsuits against news media, January 6 panel

Former President Trump on Monday threatened legal action against various news outlets and the House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol on the same day his legal team filed a lawsuit against CNN.

Trump did not specify which other outlets he planned to sue, but said he would sue them for their “misinformation” about the 2020 election, which he lost to President Biden.

“In the weeks and months ahead, we will also be suing many other fake news media companies for their lies, defamation and wrongdoing, including in relation to ‘The Big Lie’. which they have so often used in reference to their disinformation attack on the 2020 presidential election,” Trump wrote in his statement.

The former president said he would target the January 6 committee for failing to investigate his allegations of voter fraud, which were at the center of dozens of lawsuits filed by Trump in courts across the United States, which have all were dropped or dismissed, some by judges he appointed.

“The screening committee refused to acknowledge, as did Inspector General Biden of the Department of Defense and others, that a few days before January 6, I recommended and authorized the deployment of thousands of troops to ensure peace, safety and security on Capitol Hill and across the country,” Trump added.

Biden had yet to be sworn in as president in the days leading up to Jan. 6. There is also no evidence that Trump ordered additional security at the Capitol in anticipation of the violence that day.

In the lawsuit filed against CNN on Monday, Trump’s lawyers claimed the network “sought to use its massive influence — allegedly as a ‘trusted’ news source — to defame the plaintiff in the minds of its viewers. and readers in a bid to defeat him politically, culminating in CNN claiming credit for ‘[getting] Trump out’ in the 2020 presidential election.”

Trump is seeking $475 million in punitive damages.

Trump announced his intention to sue the network earlier this summer, saying in a statement that he “would also take action against other media outlets that have defamed me and defrauded the public regarding the overwhelming evidence of fraud throughout the 2020 election”.

For the latest news, weather, sports and streaming videos, head to The Hill.

Comments are closed.