On Earth Day, Make a Commitment to “Restore Our Earth” Children’s News Article

Earth Day is celebrated by more than a billion people around the world (Credit: Charities.org)

Every April 22, more than a billion people around the world celebrate Earth Day by participant in neighborhood cleaning activities and environmental learning. The biggest on the planet civic the event began in 1970 when twenty million Americans took to the streets to urge lawmakers to take action to protect the environment before it is too late. With more than 50,000 partners in 195 countries, the Earth Day Network (EDN) has led to the creation of numerous environmental policies, including the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act and the Endangered Species Act.

Earth Day 2021 is dedicated To restoration in the world ecosystems in order to fight what is now called a “climate emergency”. EarthDay.org officials argue that we need to reduce our impact on the planet and find ways to undo the damage we have already done. “On this Earth Day, we have an important opportunity to challenge our leaders to to commit global climate action, ”said Kathleen Rogers, President of EarthDay.org Vogue. “We are on the edge of a cliff – if we don’t act now to reduce carbon emissions, there will be no turning back. ”

While a stricter government legislation may take a while, here are some companies that are taking on the challenge of green technologies and innovative thought.

Thermal compaction unit

Thermally compacted PPE equipment logs can be used to make new products (Credit: Thermal Compaction Group)

Single-use personal protective equipment (PPE), such as masks and gowns, used to protect medical first responders and healthcare workers from the coronavirus has led to a exponential increase in plastic waste around the world. Researchers estimate that more than a billion single-use products disposable the masks ended up in landfills in 2020 – and this number is only for the UK.

Today, UK-based Thermal Compaction Group has designed special machines which compact Waste PPE in one meter long plastic blocks, which can be used to create a range of products, including school chairs and tool boxes. Matt Rapson, the company’s environmental director, said, “We take what’s designated as single-use plastic on what is a very expensive waste stream for the NHS (National Health Service), recovering plastics and engineering he goes back to a inert source of polypropylene which is then reused in multiple products. “

The machines, currently being tested at five UK hospitals, will soon be deployed at health centers across the country.

Mattel

Mattel’s Tesla Roadster is made from recycled materials (Credit: Mattel)

On April 15, 2021, California-based toy maker Mattel said that by 2030, its entire collection of die-cast cars, play sets and Matchbox packaging will be made from 100% recycled, recyclable or plastic plastic. biobased. The ad was accompanied by the release of a Tesla Roadster Matchbox, the first die-cast vehicle made from 99% recycled materials. The “green” toy will be available in stores from 2022.

Apple Inc.

Apple Inc. plans to spend $ 200 million to restore forests like the degraded savannahs of Kenya’s Chyulu Hills region, pictured above (Apple Inc.)

Apple Inc. announced a $ 200 million carbon phase-out initiative April 15, 2021. Launched in partnership with Conservation International and Goldman Sachs, it aims to invest in forestry projects to remove carbon from the atmosphere. The company believes its efforts will help remove at least 1 million metric tonnes of carbon dioxide – equivalent to the amount of fuel consumed by more than 200,000 passenger vehicles – each year. The business is the first step towards Apple ambitious goal of becoming carbon neutral across its entire value chain by 2030. The company plans to eliminate 75 percent of emissions of its supply chain and products by 2030 and hopes the carbon phase-out initiative will help cover the remaining 25 percent.

Although the efforts of these companies and others with initiatives, will go a long way in protecting the environment, individuals must also do their part. Like Rogers succinctly says, “It is up to each of us to ‘restore our Earth’, not just because we care about the natural world, but because we live in it. A healthy planet is not an option – it is a need. “

So on this Earth Day commitment to do everything possible to reduce your impact on the planet. Even small actions like turning off lights and appliances when not in use, going to school by bike instead of driving, and using reusable water bottles and lunch boxes can make a big difference. .

Happy Earth Day!

Reduce, reuse, recycle!

Resources: mattel.com, apple.com, terracycle.com, tcgsolutions.co.uk

Comments are closed.